Back in December I mentioned the latest version of WordPress was available. I also made the comment that for commercial blogs, it can be a good idea to wait for the first bug fix release before upgrading. Well that bug fix has been released so it is time to upgrade/update your WordPress installation.
Why Upgrade? One of the biggest problems with any software, particularly those that create web pages based on database files, is that it can be hacked. It’s a constant battle between hackers who spend all day looking for holes in a website, and software writers who try to plug those holes.
The older the software is, in this case WordPress, the more time there is for hackers to find those holes. Likewise, with new versions of a piece of software, it is untested by the masses, or more importantly, by the hackers. That’s why I suggest waiting for a bug release update before upgrading.
What is the the difference between and update and an upgrade? Upgrade are normally new releases. It’s a little like a car upgrade. You change from one model to a new improved version of that model. An update is a modification to you current model. Towards the end of 2008, WordPress 2.7 was released. In the last week or so we have had the release of 2.7.1, this is version 2.7 with a version updates to fix any of the bugs found since the 2.7 release.
Now that 2.7.1 is available, and from all reports 2.7.x is quite stable and currently hacker safe, it is time to upgrade your installations. If you are using one of the much older versions then you will notice a big difference in the new version. Some like it, some don’t – it is however much safer using the latest version than some of the older versions.
- Internet Marketing – Why Do So Few Use So Little Of What Is So Much?
- Stuck For Something To Say On Your Blog?
- Google Again Advises On Web Site Hacking
- Domain Names – How Far Do You Go To Protect Your Brand
- Can You Capitalise On Big Businesses Failure
- SEO And The Google Penalty – Dont LaughThey Penalized Themselves
- Yahoo Leads The Way But Hardly Anyone Knows
- Why Branding Is Becoming More Important
- Time to Update Your WordPress Blog